Monday, June 18, 2007

Getting Started

In homage to our son's favorite author Daniel Pinkwater, we decided to take names from "The Wuggie Norple Story." The boy wants to be Wuggie Norple (of course). I (mom) will be Exploding Poptart, and dad will be Papercup Mixmaster. We are also accompanied by Dog and Plant.

Our Story begins on Thursday, my last day of work, which ended with Exploding Poptart in a race with the clock to load up 7 years of books and files and bits of candle by 5:00 so I could make it to Day Care in time to pick up Wuggie Norple before he turned into a pumpkin. At 4:50 my amazing co-worker PitBull Goddess and I started shoving boxes into my compact car "you could come back..." she said as our task looked more and more impossible. But somehow it all fit, even the plants, and at 5:05 we took a last look or 3 around the office to see whate ELSE I had forgotten. I rode away from my office for the last time, realizing that without PitBull Goddess I would be repeatedly banging my head against the wall instead of speading off with a perfectly loaded car at 5:10. God Bless that woman.

That night we packed like crazy, and Wuggie Norple had to choose all his favorite toys he would want to play with for the next 3 months and fit them into a plastic tub for our trip.

Friday was Wuggie Norple's last day of Kindergarden. I walked him to school for the last time and before I got home, the movers were there. We spent the rest of the day trying to stay one step ahead. We had one major failure early on as the "important stuff to go in the car" pile was packed into identical cardboard boxes destined fo storage in Milpitas before I'd even had my coffee. Friends came over and helped us get fed, run errands and generally keep our spirits up.

Saturday the hardest was over (for us) because the moving company loaded our stuff (who knew we had so much of it!) into giant semi while we sat on the floor of the dining room trying to come up with things to do that didn't involve any THINGS or furnitire. By 4:00 it was done. We circled the house a few times to make sure we had left nothing behind, and said goodbye to our sweet little oasis.

2 comments:

lou jones said...

this whole name idea is fantastic. hilarious. really adding a special something to each story. poptart!

eugene chen said...

This was the saddest day of my life.